Dental Crowns in San Antonio, TX
What is a dental crown?
Sometimes called a “tooth cap” or “tooth crown,” dental crowns are restorative appliances used to cover an entire tooth and restore its strength, size, shape, and function.
Is a dental crown right for me?
Generally, dental crowns are needed in the following situations:
- Strengthening a weakened tooth
- Holding together parts of a cracked tooth
- Securing a dental bridge in place
- Hiding teeth that are misshapen, discolored, or have other aesthetic issues
- Covering a dental implant
- Protecting baby teeth that are at risk for tooth decay
- Saving a tooth that is on the verge of needing extraction
Types of Crowns
- Pros: Zirconia crowns are biocompatible, suitable for those with metal allergies, aesthetically pleasing, and durable.
- Cons: While the disadvantages are few and far between, some dental community members are worried about the hard zirconia material eroding opposing natural tooth enamel. Drs. Joung and Minkyung Lee combat this potential issue by ensuring proper spacing and alignment in crown placement
- Pros: Porcelain closely mimics the physical properties of tooth enamel and is biocompatible.
- Cons: Comparatively, porcelain crowns are more delicate than other types of dental crowns.
- Pros: Gold is durable and long-lasting.
- Cons: Gold is noticeable and not suitable for those with metal allergies.
Porcelain Fused to Metal
- Pros: PFM crowns are the best of both worlds: they are strong and aesthetically pleasing.
- Cons: PFM can look unappealing for those who suffer from gum recession or have thin gums.
How long do dental crowns take? Typically, we spread inlay and onlay installation over two appointments. The first appointment is for preparation, while the second is for installation.
Furthermore, we’ve outlined what to expect before, during, and after each tooth crown procedure.
Find Dental Crowns that Look, Feel, and Function Well
The best way to decide how to repair your smile is to schedule a consultation with a local dentist. Drs. Joung and Minkyung Lee can review your options and help you decide which restorative and cosmetic dentistry option is ideal.
Take advantage of our online booking or conveniently call (210) 686-1486. The San Antonio community can trust the Local Dental team to keep individuals and families healthy, happy, and feeling at home.